Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A fine line

In special education it is essential to have a team that works together well. For me this year, it has been very hard to step into a new team. I am trying to be a part of the team, while not being a doormat. This is a very fine line. I want to help out with the team as much as I can. But I'm only there half time, so my time is very limited at school. I don't even get a prep, so I don't even get a chance at school to prepare for my class. This makes it very hard for me to be able to do things that are above and beyond the call of duty. I am trying to be professional and let my Christian side show. But this is can be so difficult. I am learning to say no, but let me tell ya, that is not a very popular stance to take sometimes. People just expect me to say yes, and when I say no they get angry. I wish they knew that I wasn't doing to say no to them, but that I just can't do it all. Christ doesn't want us to say yes to everything either and overextend ourselves. He demonstrated this by taking frequent breaks, even if that meant he had to get in a row boat and row away to an island.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Finding a healthy balance with the minutes we get in each day can sometimes make a high wire act seem like a cake walk. I have found the only time I have the right balance is when I give my first minutes to God. Otherwise its like starting the race with a flat tire. :)

Michelle Johnson said...

I'm trying to find the balance between being a doormat and being a team player though. And I'm not being very popular with one of our team players because she wants me to be a doormat.